Meat Free Monday is something you should all be taking part in, its a fun way to switch up your diet and get creative and thoughtful when it comes to thinking up recipes. If you want to find out a little more about the campaign, check out their website here.
When it comes to quinoa, I have a pretty basic set-up for constructing a recipe. Quinoa + 2 veg servings + little salad-y things + something kinda creamy (like yoghurt or avocado), it works every time.
200g baby sweetcorn
Couple fistfuls of tender stem purple sprouting broccoli
3 cloves garlic
2 tbps sesame oil
Little drizzle chilli oil
2 heaped tbsps houmous
2 heaped tbsps lentil, pea and bean shoots
4 spring onions, chopped finely
- Each 40g serving of quinoa wants to cook in 200ml water, so rinse your quinoa off under cold water then put it on to boil in 400ml of water, it’ll take 15-18 minutes so chuck a timer on.
- Heat the sesame oil in a big pan and get the broccoli in there, let it sizzle for about 5 minutes on a high heat before you add the baby corn.
- While all thats going on, chop your garlic really really finely (if you don’t want to use as much as I do, fine, but garlic is good for you and I like it so I regret nothing)
- Once the quinoa is done, drain it then swirl the olive oil and garlic through it, maybe add a squeeze of lemon or lime, its up to you.
- Arrange the cooked veg and quinoa alongside the remaining salad ingredients (the chilli oil is for drizzling over the houmous) and serve.
This is one of those great meals that leaves you feeling like a spring lamb once you’re done eating instead of some kind of Krispy Kreme cheerleader, so its great for perking yourself up on a Monday. This is a cool summer evening song to complement your meal.
Thanks for reading x