I’ve always made my own tomato sauce for pasta, but never ventured in to all the colours for sauce that aren’t red. So, yesterday evening when staring vacantly at supermarket shelves I made the executive decision to just bite the bullet and see what happens when you blitz together some green stuff and put it with pasta – boy am I glad I make such good executive decisions.
Spinach is a superfood in both my eyes and Popeye’s, its a great source of iron which is a major benefit for all you vegetarians and vegans out there. I’ve told you before that avocado is fantastic but I’ll tell you again, avocado is fantastic. It’s a ‘good fat’ and makes everything/anything creamy and delicious. So as you can imagine, this sauce will leave you feeling strong and mighty.
100g raw chopped spinach
1 mashed avocado
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
juice 1 lemon
3 mint leaves, chopped finely
2 tbsps natural yoghurt
200g free-from pasta (you can use normal pasta if you want but no one’s eating real pasta these days)
- Get your spinach, avocado, lemon and mint in a food processor or blender (I used a hand blender cause I’m lazy and hate washing up but it would have been much easier with appropriate equipment) and whizz them up until they become a paste.
- Put your pasta on to boil.
- As soon as your pasta starts cooking, heat the garlic in a pan in a little bit of olive oil.
- Make sure you’re on the lowest heat setting your cooker will allow as soon as your garlic starts to brown and add that lovely green paste.
- Give it a stir and you’ll think its all gone wrong because this couldn’t possibly coat pasta its far too thick, you’re right, it couldn’t, not yet…
- Add some of the pasta water a couple of tablespoons at a time, stirring all the way, until it resembles something saucy.
- Once you’re happier with the consistency, get the yoghurt involved. This is partly for creaminess, but mostly because it takes the colour from meh to ‘oh my god look at that amazing healthy green colour it just pops and makes me feel so alive’.
- Drain your pasta and plate up!
This is your track recommendation because I hear she’s at the Great Escape this weekend and once you’ve eaten this meal you’re gonna feel like dancing..
Thanks for reading x