In typical English fashion, this morning the heavens opened to make way for a few hours of rain showers. As the chill in the air returned, so did my craving for a big bowl of something warm.
Broccoli and stilton is a soup combo as old as time, and usually I’m with the “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it” guys but I’ve added a couple of ingredients that take the flavour in a slightly different direction and it totally works. Namely apple, kale and ginger. The kale is in there for the sake of it, someone in California somewhere once said it was good for us and we’ve all agreed that we must therefore put it in everything, it makes no difference to the taste of this dish but a big difference to how good it is for you. The ginger gives a little kick to add extra warmth perfectly suited to a miserable day, and the apple contributes a mild sweetness to keep the ginger in check.
- In a large pan, melt a knob of butter on a low heat and add the celery and ginger, cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, apple and broccoli then cover and cook for around 10 minutes, make sure your heat is still nice and low. It’s fine to take the lid off every now and then if you have a nervous disposition of some kind.
- Add the kale and cover again to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in to a blender and whizz it up until it reaches your preferred consistency. Alternatively, you can (as I did) pour it in to a large bowl and do this with a hand held blender. Works just as well.
- Stir in the blue cheese, then serve with some crumbled on top.
This is a comfort food that comes with the bonus of not being as terrible for you as all your other favourite comfort foods. This is your track recommendation for this lovely soup.
Thanks for reading x