This is the perfect plate of food for a cold wintry day like today. Vegan dinner recipes are, I find, tricky to come by in amongst brownies, bliss balls and oatmeals – but this one is just perfect. Beans are a vegan saviour, they’re so filling and although rather bland when eaten alone, they transform into a taste sensation when couple with the right ingredients. Borlotti beans baked with gorgeous soft sweet potatoes and a delicious spice mix served with a dollop of organic houmous is just what the doctor ordered to brighten up a bleak January lunchtime vegan style.
A note on spices
I’ve recently become obsessed with this spice mix that my Mum brought home for me as a souvenir from St.Ives and I can’t wait to stock up on more when I go in February. That’s what I used for this recipe and I 100% recommend it, but if you don’t want to order it you can probably find something similar at your local supermarket.
If you love love love the tea towel and plate in the pictures on this post, go check out Washed Up Design, they have the most beautiful range you’ll ever lay eyes on!
2 sweet potatoes
1 can borlotti beans
2 tbsps smoky spice mix
2 tbsps olive oil
houmous and hot sauce to serve (optional)
- Wash and scrub your sweet potatoes but don’t bother peeling them, then chop them up into chunks and put them in a heavy based roasting dish.
- Heat your oven to Gas Mark 6 (conversions here).
- Drain and rinse the beans in a sieve then throw those into the roasting dish too.
- Mix your spices with the olive oil in a small dish then pour over the potatoes and beans and give the dish a really good stir or shake to make sure everything is coated evenly.
- Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so to avoid anything sticking to the bottom of the dish.
- Serve with a generous dollop of houmous and a good glug of hot sauce.