Do you remember that time I went crazy on overnight oats for a little while? I think it was last summer. I don’t remember why that fizzled out for me, I really did love them. All part and parcel of being a relentless novelty seeker I suppose, I don’t get to enjoy anything for long.
I have a new thing I’m into. I’m quite sure that it’ll be just as temporary, but I might as well tell you about it while it lasts, right?
Dorset Cereals have launched a couple new flavours of Bircher Meusli mix – almond & honey and raspberry & blackcurrant. The almond & honey box is so on my wavelength.
The deal is, you soak a scoop of the meusli in apple juice with a dollop of yoghurt on top (I used Alpro plain with almond to make this vegan) then leave it for 30 minutes.
You have now, inadvertently, carved out 30 minutes for yourself.
Sure, you probably want to fill this time with getting ready for work. I get it, you’re busy, I’m busy, we live in a society that requires us to be busy all day.
But, may I be so bold as to suggest that as today is Sunday, you use these 30 minutes to do something that will have a positive impact on your life? I have a few ideas for you..
- Do some yoga. We’ve talked about how much of a goddess Adriene is before, I’m sure of it. Her morning yoga sequence is 26 minutes long, give it a go.
- Do absolutely bloody nothing. Just sit there. I’m not even talking meditation, don’t even think about that word, it’s intimidating. Just. Do. Nothing. For a whole 30 minutes.
- Read. Whether it’s Food 52 or the Financial Times, just give yourself a half hour to hang out and read stuff.
- Call your Mum. As long as it’s not too early, I’m pretty sure your Mum would love to have a chat for half an hour.
- Learn a poem. Just a short one, you never know when it might come in handy.
How’s that for starters? You can thank me later.
After I’d mixed my yoghurt into my sufficiently soaked meusli, I topped it with finely chopped pear and dates. It was so sweet and so delicious. I recommend that combo in a big, big way.
Have a beautiful, relaxing Sunday filled with delicious things, guys. See you next week!
D0rset Cereals sent me their Bircher Meusli to try, but this post isn’t sponsored by ’em.