I’m not expecting to get everyone on board with this one. I’ve had big doubts as to whether I should even be posting it. However, the point of this food blog has always been to talk about what I’m eating in my kitchen and, like it or not, I’m eating a lot of this right now.
The ‘this’ that I am referring to is a pasta dish with crunchy pickles, spicy jalapenos and a creamy cheese sauce. My darling friend and person I run many an idea by, Rosie, said she could not get down with the tangy/creamy thing. A few people on the social medias have said they could potentially be on board, and Tom and me are already big fans.
On balance, I figured it was worth putting out there. Even at the risk of angering a solid 75% of my readers.
If any of my Italian foodie friends are reading this, I can only apologise. I do of course understand that this is probably a bastardisation of your beloved pasta, but the heart wants what it wants. My heart wants cheese and pickles, and pasta, all at once.
I should mention that I made this once with bacon and it was wonderful. Bacon is very much a welcome addition to the cheesiness and pickliness of this comforting dinner. I’ve left it out here for two reasons:
- I liked the idea of keeping this at 5 ingredients.
- I’m quite enjoying the mostly vegetarian vibe that the blog has going on right now.
So there we go. I think I’ve made all the excuses and apologies I possibly can for this recipe, it’s time for me to actually present it to you. Please don’t hate me too much and remember that you did love me before you clicked on this link.
If you need some time I understand.
4 medium pickles, cut into half cm crescents
1/3 of a jar of jalapenos, chopped finely
150g cream cheese
100g cheddar, grated
- Boil your pasta according to pack instructions in well salted water. Reserve about 1/3 of a cup of the pasta water just before you drain it.
- Drain the pasta, add it back to the pan (still on the heat) along with the pickles, jalapenos, both cheeses and pasta water.
- Stir gently until combined to make a smooth, creamy pasta sauce.