Spicy peanut cabbage noodles is a simple, comforting dish that I’ve turned to a few times throughout Veganuary. It’s almost definitely an accidental bastardisation of something that already exists. If I were to hazard a guess, I’d say that Bouillon powder probably doesn’t feature heavily in Asian cooking.
I use udon noodles here, but it’d be just as great with egg noodles, or flat rice noodles, or whichever noodles you happen to have to hand. The ‘straight-to-wok’ packets are really handy, cause you just chuck them in to reheat and your work is done, all in one pan.
Peanut butter, chilli bean paste (or sauce, whichever you can find), bouillon powder (or a normal stock cube), cabbage and cooked noodles. One of those magic five ingredient meals that I’m hoping will become much more regular around these parts.
I don’t know how available chilli bean sauce is where you are. I can only find it in Chinese supermarkets. If you have one local to you, go check it out. I love this stuff. It’s all fermenty and savoury and (I suspect) dangerously salty, it’s a fridge staple for me.
If you can’t find it, I’m afraid I’m going to be an absolute dickhead and say I just don’t know what you’d sub it with to make this recipe. More helpful readers, if you have any ideas, please do leave them in the comments.
I didn’t want to start this post with an apology about not having posted for a while because it feels so cliche, but having gotten to the middle, I do feel I should perhaps address it. My last recipe was 10 days ago, which has got me feeling all inadequate. But, to be honest with you, it’s been a rocky old 10 days. Managing all aspects of life right now is getting tricky, so bear with me if content becomes sparse. I’ll try not to let that happen but, as I say, forgive me.
I hope this recipe makes up for it. It’s really been doing me solid when I don’t have much time and want something delicious that remains within my temporarily restricted diet.
2 portions cooked noodles*
* two nests egg noodles, one vacuum pack udon noodles, etc – follow packet suggestions
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp chilli bean sauce
1/2 a savoy cabbage
1 tbsp bouillon powder
optional: pinch sugar, I like this to balance out the saltiness in the chilli bean sauce, but it’s fine without, try it and see which you prefer
- Roll up your cabbage leaves and chop into shreds.
- Fry in a non-stick pan in a neutral oil (something that doesn’t affect taste too much, like sunflower, or you can use sesame oil) for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil a kettle and add the peanut butter, chilli bean sauce and bouillon powder (plus pinch of sugar if using) to a measuring jug.
- Pour boiling water into the jug and fill to 600ml. Stir to combine.
- Pour the stock mixture over the cabbage and add the noodles. Continue bubbling away for a few minutes until the cabbage is cooked and the noodles are heated through.